I will turn to you and make you fruitful and multiply you and will confirm my covenant with you. You shall eat old store long kept, and you shall clear out the old to make way for the new. I will make my dwelling among you, and my soul shall not abhor you. And I will walk among you and will be your God, and you shall be my people. I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that you should not be their slaves. And I have broken the bars of your yoke and made you walk erect.
What makes you feel secure? Safe?
- Relationships? Sooner or later people will let you down.
- Intimacy? How many have regrettably sold their soul for a sexual encounter?
- Career? You retired. Here’s your watch. See you later!
- 401K? Take a ride on the rollercoaster of the stock market and quarterly reports.
- Substance? The short high produces a long low.
- Yourself? “I am the captain of my soul!” Really? Good luck with that.
I love today’s passage because it reminds us of an all-important truth: God is the only source of true security. He gives us everything we need physically, emotionally, and spiritually. He walks with us and promises to be our God and reminds us, “you shall be my people.” With God by our side, we can focus on the things that are important and eternal. With God by our side, we can walk with our heads held high.
- Ask God to search your heart and see if there is anything you are trusting in other than him. Name the things that God brings to your mind and ask him to help you find your security in him alone.
- Ask God to help you teach your children with words and actions that a relationship with him is of primary importance.
And…keep asking God to open your eyes throughout the day to reveal anything from which you gain false security.
Today on The Journey Broadcast: