Real Life Experience
June 29, 2020
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. One generation commends your works to another; they tell of your mighty acts.
The story of God is settled in Scripture. Yet He uses people to pass it on. One generation tells the story of God’s greatness to another. Of course, that means that each generation has a story to tell. Certainly we should know and retell the stories of the Bible. But along with the accounts of Scripture, we need stories of our own. Stories based on knowledge need to be combined with stories based on personal experience. This allows for truth to be passed on with passion.
How do you experience the mighty acts of God so that you can pass them on with passion? Here are a few ideas.
- Share the Gospel with a friend or family member. You will never get over the joy of experiencing someone trusting in Christ. Don’t live on the stories of other people. Write your own story of God’s power to save.
- Serve at a local mission or shelter. I am convinced that serving those in need does much more for me than the people I am serving. While you are serving, find time to hear the stories of those in the mission or shelter. When you take the time to serve, God works in your heart in powerful ways.
- Serve in your local church. Don’t confuse attending a small group or Bible Study with actually serving. Attending a small group and serving is the difference between having a meal and exercising. Those who are only spiritually fed are going to have a spiritual weight problem.
- Go on a short-term mission trip. Away from your personal comfort zone, you see God at work in new and exciting ways. Every mission trip I take, I see God in refreshing ways and am personally stretched.
- Step out in faith. Follow God with such radical obedience that if He doesn’t show up, you’ll fall flat on your face. Anyone can live with probabilities. Probabilities seek to alleviate risk. Faith demands living with possibilities. But a certain amount of risk is involved when you step out in faith.
Father, I don’t want to pass on dispassionate stories to the next generation. Help me to combine the truth of Your Word with the passion of real-life experience. Give me stories to tell of the times when You have been powerfully at work in my life. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Read through the Bible this year:Today's Reading
Join Our Facebook Group
Today on The Journey Broadcast: